Reading Time: 2 minutes
If you are going to have fajitas you might as well make some side dishes. There are lots of traditional favorites like refried beans and Spanish style rice. My wife likes both. What follows is her take on Spanish rice… Tex Mex style cleaned up by using Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice. You’ll hardly notice the difference and be adding some whole grains in the process.
Tex Mex Rice Recipe
Tex Mex Rice Recipe – Cleaner & Healthier
- 1 1/2 C Uncle Bens Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 2 1/2 C beef broth/bullion
- 1 C plain tomato sauce
- 1/4 of medium onion diced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Roma tomato diced optional
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in the fresh onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Add dry rice and cook with the onions for about 5 minutes or until rice becomes a golden brown color. Add in the garlic, salt, cumin and chili powder to the rice and saute for one more minute.
- Add in broth and tomato sauce (add slowly into the rice, not directly onto to sauce pan)
- Add tomato (if using)
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and fluff with a fork.
What else is the Digital Dad up to? To find out… follow me on Facebook & Twitter