Reading Time: 3 minutes
I don’t know how I got along without one of these gizmos for so long. But, I knew that with a recent trip to a conference in D.C. I would need some type of portable charger for the day long conference. Looking at the conference schedule, there were back to back sessions and social media updates to make which left little opportunity to re-charge my aging Samsung Galaxy S4. A quick trip to the local WalMart provided a bunch of different models at different price points and output amps. I picked the TZUMI™ Pocket Juice 4000 mAh Portable Charger which was a little more budget conscious but, had enough output amps to push a charge in what I guessed might be a reasonable amount of time. Some details on this battery charger and my experience follows.
Out of the Box – TZUMI™ Pocket Juice 4000 mAh Portable Charger
Out of the box the TZUMI™ Pocket Juice 400 mAh portable charger is a fairly compact unit and includes a short charging/re-charging cable and instruction booklet.
By The Numbers
TZUMI™ Pocket Juice 4000 mAh Portable Charger Specifications
Battery Capacity: 4000 mAh
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Input: 5 V/1A
Output: 5 V/2.1A (2.4 A Max)
My Real Life UseI put the Pocket Juice to real use during a multi-day conference. And my experiences were good. Click To Tweet
– Charging my phone off the battery took about an hour or, so which is okay. I wasn’t expecting an instant charge at the price point. And, I could continue to use my device as I was charging. This usually left about 1/4 left on the charger.
– The indicator lights are helpful to let you know the state of your battery.
– Recharging the pack took some time via USB and is faster via your phone’s charger.
– The short charging/recharging cord is shorter than others I have but, long enough to connect my phone and get the job done.
– I liked the soft touch feel of the battery pack. It wasn’t slippery and was easy to keep nearby.
What I Learned:
– You have to turn on the Pocket Juice before connecting your phone. Well, atleast in my case with the S4 this is true.
– Charging the phone with the charger often made the charger battery warm.
– I could only get one charge out of the Pocket Juice. It’s definitely a once and nearly done kind of rechargable pack for my uses. This left one segment left on the indicator lights meaning I had between 0% – 25% of charge left on the battery pack.
– If I want to charge more than 1 device, or charge more than one time, I will need a bigger re-charger.
To download the instruction manual, check the PDF available here.
All in all a good first battery charger. It performed well for something I bought at the last minute. I’ll likely be looking for larger capacity one in the future. Maybe something like this Anker PowerCore 20000mAh Portable Charger with 4.8 A output.