Reading Time: 2 minutes
So, over at our “nest” there’s been a flurry of activity recently. But, I suppose a little explanation and backstory might be in order. Our current abode is a 20 yr. old Fortis home (now, K Hovnanian)… that we purchased a few short years ago. The truth is we knew very little about her history (no thanks to the feckless home inspector). Make no mistake, we had some well-founded suspicions based on our experience buying and improving other homes but, the reality has been slowly settling in.
Some stats on the house: 3 bedroom, 2.5 Baths,2 car garage, and a 10′ x 12′ shed.
Heated square feet:1,860
Exterior: Brick and Masonite
Windows: Double glazed, wood.
Year built: 1992
The Home Site
Our home faces South and is on a corner. We have a fenced off portion of the backyard. There is a fairly steep grade roll off at the front on the street side at the top of the picture.
Our projects so far:
- Uninstall an overgrown front landscape.
- Plan and plant a new landscape
- Replace an improperly specified and installed gas hot water heater.
- Paint and repair rotting wood sills on the exterior first-floor windows.
- Install a new fiberglass front door slab in the existing jamb.
- Repair failed drywall tape joints at various joints and corners throughout the first floor.
- Repaint the entire first floor walls and some trim.
- Remove carpet and paint front stairs
- Remove old, glue down wood floor and carpet*.
- Install new laminate floor*.
- Install new tile
- Install new water saving toilets
- Repair, prime, and paint the home’s exterior*
(Projects listed above with * indicate work completed by contractors)