Pergo Max and Pergo XP, What’s the Difference?

Update 7/20/2016: Did you know that Pergo launched two new floors at Home Depot & Lowes? Check out the differences between Pergo Outlast + and Pergo Max Premier I have also added more content to this page to help you in your decision making.

Have you been shopping for new laminate floor and wondered what’s the difference between Pergo Max and Pergo XP? After visiting both big box home improvement stores I have some information to share.

Pergo Max

pergo max
Overall our impression of Pergo Max was favorable. There was a color/finish we really liked. The installation cost though ultimately led us to another decision.
Retailer: Lowes
Attached underlayment
Lifetime limited residential wear warranty
Thickness: 8mm
Grade: AC3
Finishes/Colors: 24
Installation instructions (PDF)

Search Pergo Laminate flooring

Pergo Max Videos

Pergo XP

Pergo XP
Overall our impression of Pergo XP was so-so. Although there are more choices in the Pergo XP line than the Pergo Max we didn’t see one that made a positive impression with us.
Retailer: Home Depot
Attached underlayment
Lifetime limited residential wear warranty
Thickness: 10mm
Grade: AC3
Finishes/Colors: 33
PergoExpressions Laminate in Jatoba
Pergo Accolade Laminate Flooring in Rustic Oak
Installation instructions (PDF)

Reviews of Pergo XP

Chris over at Random Thoughts shares his experiences with installing Pergo XP and includes a great list of tips in his post “Pergo XP (Highland Hickory)

Pergo XP Videos

Shopping for Pergo Laminate Flooring

Search Pergo Laminate flooring

Want to see what floor we thought was better than Pergo XP and Pergo Max? Read Of Floors and Dust Bunnies

Rob Ainbinder

Rob is an SEO and Marketing strategist, creator, writer, entrepreneur, blogger, Dad and husband. He is also the author of “Mastering Google Keep”. In his spare time, Rob enjoys completing home improvement projects, crafting barbeque and cheering on the New England Patriots. Rob lives with his family (Wife, our teenage daughter, and dog Lilly) in Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem area of North Carolina.

36 thoughts on “Pergo Max and Pergo XP, What’s the Difference?

• October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

I searched the same question at Pergo and it seems that Pergomax is sold esclusively at Loews and PergoXP (extreme perform.) is sold exclusively at Home Depot. Both seem to be under the PermaMax trademark. Eachoof these stores carries different selections.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

When was Pergo Max introduced. The condo we live in accecpted a technical data sheet from 2004 which I believe would not represent the true specs of a Pergo Max Vera Mahogany floor that our upstairs neighbors placed over 8′ concrete and the noise is unreal.

• January 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm

According to a quick search of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office website it states that the trademark “Pergo Max” was first used in commerce 5/31/2011.

• January 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

thickness: pergo xp = 10mm; pergo max = 8mm

in general, thicker = preferred, more value, stronger

• February 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Bob- Can you confirm the technical details for us? Is there a spec sheet somewhere?

• Pingback: Of Floors & Dust Bunnies - Rob Ainbinder - Digital Dad

• March 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Product Specification:
    MANUFACTURER: Pergo XP
    THICKNESS: 10mm + Premium Underlayment Attached
    GRADE: AC3
    WARRANTY: Lifetime Residential / 10yr Light Commercial

Product Specification:
    MANUFACTURER: Pergo Max
    THICKNESS: 8mm + Premium Underlayment Attached
    GRADE: AC4
    WARRANTY: Lifetime Residential / 5yr Light Commercial

• June 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Hey Rob! Can you please post or send me some emails of your new floor in your home. My husband and I have been searching for flooring for months and have narrowed it down to Pergo XP. I looked at the flooring you had chosen and found it on the internet for half the price of the Pergo XP. I would really appreciate your input! Thanks!

• June 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Hey Felica! Thanks for dropping by and for your comment. You can read about the floor we finally selected (back in 2010) over at this blog post. Price part of the our driver in our process. Funny enough, just today we were going over the choices for our next home. And for some final pictures of the install check here.

• October 24, 2013 at 6:17 am

PLEASE help! We will have 2,000sf of wood laminate in our new build & need durability with dogs & must have a darker hand scraped finish: as of now have decided on PergoMax Handscraped Richland Hickory. Is this all it’s cracked up to be–has a 4AC but is only 8mil?? And is attached pad good enough? What else is comparable?? Thanks!!

• October 27, 2013 at 4:50 am

Hi Brenda-

Thanks for your comment. I know AC4 is supposed to mean that the floor is hard. But, I’ve not had any direct experience with dogs and this PergoMax. Maybe someone else can comment here on there experience. Thanks.

• November 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Pergo XP highland hickory was installed last fall in our main floor. The stuff looks great and its bulletproof! Two dogs and no scratches! Fabulous!

• December 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Purchased pergo xp highland hickory last April…2500sf …we like it better than hardwood. It will not scratch with large dogs running on it; Clorox drips won’t fade it and it looks fantastic, plus it’s quiet! Got a special deal at HD…whole house install for $300.00 or some ridiculous low price…look for this sale in spring. Would not consider buying any other product and did not put any laminate in ” wet ” rooms ( tile only as we are a messy bunch :). We get many many compliments on this floor! Very pleased with our investment!

• December 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

Laurie-
      Thanks for sharing your experience with Pergo XP. When we did our laminate flooring we decided to tile “wet” rooms as well. The deal sounds like a great one. Did that price include moving furniture, removing carpet/tackstrip and installing new shoe moulding/quarter round?

• March 18, 2014 at 11:12 pm

decided on pergo max but am reconsidering because I have been told it’s noisy? Is this true?

• March 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for your comment. What kind of noise do you mean? Most noise it mitigated by the attached underlayment.

• March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Unsure about what kind of noise since I haven’t heard it myself. Guy at Lowes says he’s heard complaints and Laurie that posted her comment here in Dec. comments on her happiness in the flooring “being quiet”. Lowes guy says its a chuckling sound when you walk on it? Says its pretty commonly known. Made me more confused. Have no idea what that would sound like.

• March 19, 2014 at 7:16 pm

For *most* laminate floors there is what is loosely termed a click. This applies more to shoes of the high heeled variety with a small surface area. It involves the upper layer of finish of the floor resonating through the flooring substrate, I believe. Thicker floors tend to exhibit less of this from my layman testing in the stores. Your mileage may vary.

• March 19, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Tonight I talked w/friends n they said its called a click as you say. Don’t think I will like that so I’m glad I found out in time. But as Laurie mentioned the pergo xp is quiet so I’m gonna consider that one instead of the max. It is thicker. Thx for ur help!

• May 21, 2014 at 9:28 am

Do not buy anything with Pergo product, i am still fighting with Lowes and Pergo company, read the complaints it is available on line and all problem, issue and complaints with Pergo are alike and I am a leaving example and I don’t you to go through with the problem we are having with. My floor already blistered or swelling like a month after it is installed by Lowes. It is a nightmare nobody can afford to replaced floor every six month.

• June 25, 2014 at 11:26 am

Dear Gina, Currently having that same fight myself. In fact, I’m sending you this message while at Lowes on the latest round of our fight. Iwould love to communicate with you more to hear about your situation. Wendi

• July 14, 2014 at 8:56 am

I am looking at Pergo Max but need to know how long a run I can do before transition is required. Want to go from my front door to my back door and the longest run will be 42 feet. Can I run the entire length with Pergo Max without having to put in transition. Get different answers from different installers.

• August 27, 2014 at 8:03 am

5 years ago 2009, I bought Pergo laminate bridgeport for my slab house. Put it in every room. Bought at Home Depot. Did not have a name xp or max just pergo. A pad was put underneath. It did not have a pad backing. It was quiet and looked great. While we were away we had water damage in most of the house except the furthest . They were saved. 5 years later we could not find a Pergo to match. Bridgeport was discontinued. We needed an 8 mm that matched the floors that were able to be saved. Went to Lowes and they had a Pergo Max that was very close. Same installer put it down . With the same pad underneath. It is the same 8mm thickness but it clicks and snaps all over. The old pergo is still fine.Very annoying

• August 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I don’t envy you at all Al. If I were in your shoes… not sure what I would do. It’s a shame that vendors can’t keep something in their product line more than a few years.

• September 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Home depot measured and it comes to 6000.00 but the laminate I like is at lowes what do I do??

• November 2, 2014 at 9:53 am

Just perchased Pergo xp Liguria Slate without attached padding. Does it require a pad to be laid? One site says yes another no. Current laminate is on wooden floor
    Al Camisa

• February 15, 2015 at 1:39 am

Digital Dad’s claims are B.S. – Pergo MAX and Pergo XP are store brands and cheaply made to a price point; most XP is 10mm, most Max is 8mm

WARNING – before you buy a single box – open one carton & pull out a few boards – and NOTICE there is a distinct end-to-end warp; no way you can install this stuff FLAT; I have bought and returned 40 cartons of this XP junk in Jan 2015

and i unfortunately installed 120 sq ft of Max same month – read the other site reviews that say it sounds like walking on bubble-wrap – …. it does …

• February 15, 2015 at 7:21 am

“emoze” not sure what claims you think I made in the original posted (dated 2012) or, in comments since. But, I have been nothing but, transparent in presenting the specs for Pergo and Pergo Max as well as providing a forum for buyers considering either flooring choice.

In fact, among the comments (above) there are a few that are happy with their decision. Some, unfortunately have had a negative experience. Pergo is a mass produced product and I have no doubt that there are likely some quality issues among some runs of the products.

• February 19, 2016 at 1:24 am

Put XP in a bedroom almost a year ago and so far no problems, no clicking. Looks great. It was installed over plywood floor after carpet was removed. I scratch tested XP, MAX (and COREtec) with a key and XP was the strongest surface by far.

• April 10, 2016 at 12:30 pm

We have highland hickory XP throughout our house. We put it in 3 years ago. I cut a section of it to expose a fresh raw edge and weighted it in a tub of water overnight. Very minimal swell after 24 hrs. We key tested it, was tough to scratch. with a 100 lb lab and a 35 lb beagle, theyve not put nail scratches in it yet.

• July 5, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Read on another site of water issues with Pergo XP because the connectors allow water to sit, even in areas where there isn’t normally water. (living rooms, bedrooms) Have you heard anything like this? Am trying to decide between XP and Max, have an option for each, and just don’t know which would suit us better. We have dogs and that means occasional wet when they come in out of rain or snow. Supposedly the Max has an option water barrier type thing but the XP doesn’t. On the other hand, quiet is very important. My last Pergo floor was just “Pergo” not a particular style, and it did have an underlayer for water. LOVED it for 8+ years with the first dog and all his wet.

• July 6, 2016 at 9:28 am

I would refer to any installation documents on Pergo’s website with regards to wet area installation. The Pergo Gold underlayment appears to be only for preventing moisture from wicking from the subfloor into Pergo and providing sound absorption.