Quantcast
Pergo Max and Pergo XP, What's the Difference? - Rob Ainbinder - Digital Dad

Rob Ainbinder – Digital Dad

Chronicling my adventures in Home Improvement, Barbeque and Fatherhood

Pergo Max and Pergo XP, What's the Difference? - Rob Ainbinder - Digital Dad

Pergo Max and Pergo XP, What’s the Difference?

August 16th, 2012

Have you been shopping for new laminate floor and wondered what’s the difference between Pergo Max and Pergo XP? After visiting both big box home improvement stores I have some information to share.

Pergo Max

pergo max
Overall our impression of Pergo Max was favorable. There was a color/finish we really liked. The installation cost though ultimately led us to another decision.
Retailer: Lowes
Attached underlayment
Lifetime limited residential wear warranty
Finishes/Colors: 24
Installation instructions (PDF)

Search Pergo Laminate flooring

Pergo XP

Pergo XP
Overall our impression of Pergo XP was so-so. Although there are more choices in the Pergo XP line than the Pergo Max we didn’t see one that made a positive impression with us.
Retailer: Home Depot
Attached underlayment
Lifetime limited residential wear warranty
Finishes/Colors: 33
PergoExpressions Laminate in Jatoba
Pergo Accolade Laminate Flooring in Rustic Oak
Installation instructions (PDF)

Search Pergo Laminate flooring

Want to see what floor we thought was better than Pergo XP and Pergo Max? Read Of Floors and Dust Bunnies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.
Rob is an online marketing professional focused on applying internet strategy to deliver results and increase customer satisfaction. Strengths include: project and vendor management, copywriting, analysis, team building, management and research. In his spare time he enjoys DIY projects, exploring technology, and spending time with his family.

Latest posts by Rob Ainbinder (see all)

Comments

28 Comments

RSS
  • Emily Marlin says on: October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

I searched the same question at Pergo and it seems that Pergomax is sold esclusively at Loews and PergoXP (extreme perform.) is sold exclusively at Home Depot. Both seem to be under the PermaMax trademark. Eachoof these stores carries different selections.

• Barry du Moulin says on: January 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

When was Pergo Max introduced. The condo we live in accecpted a technical data sheet from 2004 which I believe would not represent the true specs of a Pergo Max Vera Mahogany floor that our upstairs neighbors placed over 8′ concrete and the noise is unreal.

• Rob says on: January 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm

According to a quick search of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office website it states that the trademark “Pergo Max” was first used in commerce 5/31/2011.

• bob burton says on: January 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

thickness: pergo xp = 10mm; pergo max = 8mm

in general, thicker = preferred, more value, stronger

• Rob says on: February 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Bob- Can you confirm the technical details for us? Is there a spec sheet somewhere?

• pedro salva says on: March 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Product Specification:
    MANUFACTURER: Pergo XP
    THICKNESS: 10mm + Premium Underlayment Attached
    GRADE: AC3
    WARRANTY: Lifetime Residential / 10yr Light Commercial

Product Specification:
    MANUFACTURER: Pergo Max
    THICKNESS: 8mm + Premium Underlayment Attached
    GRADE: AC4
    WARRANTY: Lifetime Residential / 5yr Light Commercial

• Felicia says on: June 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Hey Rob! Can you please post or send me some emails of your new floor in your home. My husband and I have been searching for flooring for months and have narrowed it down to Pergo XP. I looked at the flooring you had chosen and found it on the internet for half the price of the Pergo XP. I would really appreciate your input! Thanks!

• Rob says on: June 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Hey Felica! Thanks for dropping by and for your comment. You can read about the floor we finally selected (back in 2010) over at this blog post. Price part of the our driver in our process. Funny enough, just today we were going over the choices for our next home. And for some final pictures of the install check here.

• Brenda Hayes says on: October 24, 2013 at 6:17 am

PLEASE help! We will have 2,000sf of wood laminate in our new build & need durability with dogs & must have a darker hand scraped finish: as of now have decided on PergoMax Handscraped Richland Hickory. Is this all it’s cracked up to be–has a 4AC but is only 8mil?? And is attached pad good enough? What else is comparable?? Thanks!!

• Rob Ainbinder says on: October 27, 2013 at 4:50 am

Hi Brenda-

Thanks for your comment. I know AC4 is supposed to mean that the floor is hard. But, I’ve not had any direct experience with dogs and this PergoMax. Maybe someone else can comment here on there experience. Thanks.

• allen says on: November 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Pergo XP highland hickory was installed last fall in our main floor. The stuff looks great and its bulletproof! Two dogs and no scratches! Fabulous!

• Laurie Ayers says on: December 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Purchased pergo xp highland hickory last April…2500sf …we like it better than hardwood. It will not scratch with large dogs running on it; Clorox drips won’t fade it and it looks fantastic, plus it’s quiet! Got a special deal at HD…whole house install for $300.00 or some ridiculous low price…look for this sale in spring. Would not consider buying any other product and did not put any laminate in ” wet ” rooms ( tile only as we are a messy bunch :). We get many many compliments on this floor! Very pleased with our investment!

• Rob Ainbinder says on: December 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

Laurie-
      Thanks for sharing your experience with Pergo XP. When we did our laminate flooring we decided to tile “wet” rooms as well. The deal sounds like a great one. Did that price include moving furniture, removing carpet/tackstrip and installing new shoe moulding/quarter round?

• Relly says on: March 18, 2014 at 11:12 pm

decided on pergo max but am reconsidering because I have been told it’s noisy? Is this true?

• Rob Ainbinder says on: March 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for your comment. What kind of noise do you mean? Most noise it mitigated by the attached underlayment.

• Relly says on: March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Unsure about what kind of noise since I haven’t heard it myself. Guy at Lowes says he’s heard complaints and Laurie that posted her comment here in Dec. comments on her happiness in the flooring “being quiet”. Lowes guy says its a chuckling sound when you walk on it? Says its pretty commonly known. Made me more confused. Have no idea what that would sound like.

• Rob Ainbinder says on: March 19, 2014 at 7:16 pm

For *most* laminate floors there is what is loosely termed a click. This applies more to shoes of the high heeled variety with a small surface area. It involves the upper layer of finish of the floor resonating through the flooring substrate, I believe. Thicker floors tend to exhibit less of this from my layman testing in the stores. Your mileage may vary.

• Relly says on: March 19, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Tonight I talked w/friends n they said its called a click as you say. Don’t think I will like that so I’m glad I found out in time. But as Laurie mentioned the pergo xp is quiet so I’m gonna consider that one instead of the max. It is thicker. Thx for ur help!

• Gina Sehlburne says on: May 21, 2014 at 9:28 am

Do not buy anything with Pergo product, i am still fighting with Lowes and Pergo company, read the complaints it is available on line and all problem, issue and complaints with Pergo are alike and I am a leaving example and I don’t you to go through with the problem we are having with. My floor already blistered or swelling like a month after it is installed by Lowes. It is a nightmare nobody can afford to replaced floor every six month.

• Wendi says on: June 25, 2014 at 11:26 am

Dear Gina, Currently having that same fight myself. In fact, I’m sending you this message while at Lowes on the latest round of our fight. Iwould love to communicate with you more to hear about your situation. Wendi

• Judy says on: July 14, 2014 at 8:56 am

I am looking at Pergo Max but need to know how long a run I can do before transition is required. Want to go from my front door to my back door and the longest run will be 42 feet. Can I run the entire length with Pergo Max without having to put in transition. Get different answers from different installers.

• al says on: August 27, 2014 at 8:03 am

5 years ago 2009, I bought Pergo laminate bridgeport for my slab house. Put it in every room. Bought at Home Depot. Did not have a name xp or max just pergo. A pad was put underneath. It did not have a pad backing. It was quiet and looked great. While we were away we had water damage in most of the house except the furthest . They were saved. 5 years later we could not find a Pergo to match. Bridgeport was discontinued. We needed an 8 mm that matched the floors that were able to be saved. Went to Lowes and they had a Pergo Max that was very close. Same installer put it down . With the same pad underneath. It is the same 8mm thickness but it clicks and snaps all over. The old pergo is still fine.Very annoying

• Rob Ainbinder says on: August 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I don’t envy you at all Al. If I were in your shoes… not sure what I would do. It’s a shame that vendors can’t keep something in their product line more than a few years.

• Barbara Mongillo says on: September 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Home depot measured and it comes to 6000.00 but the laminate I like is at lowes what do I do??

• al camisa says on: November 2, 2014 at 9:53 am

Just perchased Pergo xp Liguria Slate without attached padding. Does it require a pad to be laid? One site says yes another no. Current laminate is on wooden floor
    Al Camisa

• Rob Ainbinder says on: November 2, 2014 at 10:35 am

Al,

Thanks for dropping by Al. According to the Pergo XP Liguria Slate page on Home Depot “Can be installed over smooth, flat, dry surfaces: concrete, ceramic tile, vinyl and wood”. The Pergo Installation document on the Home Depot site recommends the use of underlayment. I would urge you call to Pergo 1-800-33-Pergo to determine the best installation for your product and situation.